Categories: NEWS

Gabon: Army officers say they are taking power

  • By George Wright & Kathryn Armstrong
  • BBC News
Image caption, Ali Bongo was declared the winner of Saturday’s election, which the opposition argued was fraudulent

Army officers have appeared on national television in Gabon to say they have taken power. 

They said they were annulling the results of Saturday’s election, in which President Ali Bongo was declared the winner. 

The electoral commission said Mr Bongo had won just under two-thirds of the votes in an election the opposition argued was fraudulent.

His overthrow would end his family’s 53-year hold on power in Gabon.

Twelve soldiers appeared on television on Wednesday, announcing they were cancelling the results of the election and dissolving “all the institutions of the republic”.

They also said the country’s borders had been closed “until further notice”.

One of the soldiers said on TV channel Gabon 24: “We have decided to defend peace by putting an end to the current regime.”

This, he added, was down to “irresponsible, unpredictable governance resulting in a continuing deterioration in social cohesion that risks leading the country into chaos”. 

Journalists from the Reuters and AFP news agencies reported the sounds of loud gunfire could be heard in the country’s capital, Libreville, following the broadcast. 

There was no immediate response by the government to the soldiers’ announcement. 

As in previous general elections in Gabon, there were serious concerns about the process in Saturday’s vote.

Main opposition candidate Albert Ondo Ossa complained that many polling stations lacked ballot papers bearing his name, while the coalition he represents said the names of some of those who had withdrawn from the presidential race had still been on the ballot sheet.

Campaign group Reporters Without Borders said foreign media had been banned from setting foot in the country to cover the vote. 

As polls closed, the government announced a curfew and suspension of internet access for security reasons.

Both of Mr Bongo’s previous wins were disputed as fraudulent by opponents. This time, controversial changes were made to voting papers just weeks before election day.

Mr Bongo came to power when his father Omar died in 2009. 

In 2018, he suffered a stroke which sidelined him for almost a year and led to calls for him to step aside.

The following year, a failed coup attempt saw mutinying soldiers sent to prison.


Also join us on YouTube to discuss various issues around us with Lawyer Andrews Dodzi Adugu Esq on ”Matters of Law”.

Rustum Senorgbe

Recent Posts

Nigerian pastor acquitted of rape after eight years in South African jail

Wedaeli Chibelushi BBC News After spending eight years in jail, a Nigerian televangelist accused of…

23 hours ago

Are my braids doing more harm than good?

Chelsea Coates BBC News Braids are one of the most popular hairstyles for black women,…

2 days ago

23 more women make allegations against serial rapist

Wanqing Zhang, Larissa Kennelly and Kirstie Brewer BBC Global China Unit and BBC News Twenty-three…

2 days ago

‘We don’t need rice!’ – Adum fire victims reject Interior Minister’s donation

Source: Myjoyonline.com Victims of the recent devastating fire at Adum in Kumasi have rejected a…

1 week ago

Helicopter crashes during South Korea’s ‘worst ever fires’

Rachel Lee, Hyunjung Kim and Hosu Lee At least 18 people have been killed and…

1 week ago

Trump signs order to dismantle US education department 

Ana Faguy BBC News, Washington DC US President Donald Trump has signed an executive order…

2 weeks ago