Categories: NEWS

Everyone safe after building collapses in Nairobi

A five-story building collapsed in Kenya’s capital, Nairobi, on Tuesday night leading to a major rescue operation, led by the Kenya Red Cross. 

The building collapsed in Uthiru – on the outskirts of the city – with initial reports suggesting dozens of people were trapped beneath the rubble. 

But on Wednesday morning the Kenya Red Cross said all tenants of the building had been accounted for.

Ten others with minor injuries were treated at the scene, the aid agency added. 

Several videos shared online showed the apartment block tilted to the side as onlookers raised alarm. 

Bramwel Simiyu, the Nairobi disaster management chief officer, allayed fears of four missing residents, including a 10-year-old girl, saying all the 34 residents had been located and were safe, The Star news website reported. 

“The building was sinking slowly, and all the residents were able to jump out and managed to exit the building,” Mr Simiyu said.

He, however, said military sniffer dogs would be deployed to establish if there were more people trapped in the debris.

The East African nation has been experiencing unprecedented heavy rains since March that have claimed the lives of 238 people and displaced 235,000 others.

Also watch ”Matters of Law” on our YouTube channel.

Rustum Senorgbe

Recent Posts

Nigerian pastor acquitted of rape after eight years in South African jail

Wedaeli Chibelushi BBC News After spending eight years in jail, a Nigerian televangelist accused of…

4 hours ago

Are my braids doing more harm than good?

Chelsea Coates BBC News Braids are one of the most popular hairstyles for black women,…

1 day ago

23 more women make allegations against serial rapist

Wanqing Zhang, Larissa Kennelly and Kirstie Brewer BBC Global China Unit and BBC News Twenty-three…

1 day ago

‘We don’t need rice!’ – Adum fire victims reject Interior Minister’s donation

Source: Myjoyonline.com Victims of the recent devastating fire at Adum in Kumasi have rejected a…

1 week ago

Helicopter crashes during South Korea’s ‘worst ever fires’

Rachel Lee, Hyunjung Kim and Hosu Lee At least 18 people have been killed and…

1 week ago

Trump signs order to dismantle US education department 

Ana Faguy BBC News, Washington DC US President Donald Trump has signed an executive order…

2 weeks ago